Featured post

Hard Work and Never being Happier

It was a Tuesday morning. After months of planning and I think I was more nervous than standing on the start line at the World Championshi...

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Hard Work and Never being Happier

It was a Tuesday morning.
After months of planning and I think I was more nervous than standing on the start line at the World Championships a couple of months previously. The time was finally upon us. It was time to tell my story to the entire country, a story that had an impact I never dreamt it could. Responses came in from friends and family, people I had never met, in countries I'd never visited. 

I was overwhelmed. That morning I tore round training, adrenalin was pumping as I knew whilst I was out training my "coming out story" was going out to the nation on the Victoria Derbyshire Show on the BBC. 

For most of that day my phone didn't stop, social media went crazy and I laid with my head in a pillow waiting for it all to go away. I had no idea it wouldn't and that the follow up interest was crazy. From newspapers, to radio interviews in USA, appearances in Hamburg and even nude charity shoots in London. There are so many people I have to thank, to list them would be wrong. However, there is one special person, who requested to be involved my story despite only just recovering from a very traumatic personal period in her life, that is of course the brilliant Victoria Derbyshire. So thank you Victoria, for caring so much and helping tell the story the way I wanted to. 

The whole thing was meant to give me the opportunity to put the news out there, it was never there to be any sort of major sport story. I wanted to get it out in the public well before the Olympics, as it wasn't something I wanted to be a distraction if it were to be leaked prior to the Rio Games next summer. I said in the interview it wouldn't change my life, and personally it hasn't. I've always had a supportive family, partner, training group and friends. Which is why it was so easy for me to come to the decision to speak publicly about my sexuality. However, it feels that everyone else has inspired me, with their stories, their supportive words and the interest in me personally and following my sporting endeavours. I will use this and put it all towards a great performance every time I step onto the track, as I think that is the only right way to thank everyone for all the love and kindness I have received.
Thank you for your support! 

Even to those who responded on social media saying "this isn't a story" you are right, we just need the rest of the world to see that! Then everyone in sport can try and live an open, happy life and no one needs to speak publicly about something which is so personal.
But it got a lot of attention still today, which must be very intimidating for so many who are contemplating living openly and being happy with whom ever they love.
So I am truly honoured and it made me very emotional (see my thank you video) to hear that it reached so many people and helped even just a few, that was a major bonus! I now want to become 'just' another gay athlete as this soon will not be a news worthy story. 
I want to inspire more with my performances to come, especially next summer in Rio, and the following summer of 2017 at the London World Championships. 
So that brings me onto the really important stuff, training!
Including a bit of biomechanics fun at Leeds Beckett University back in November...


The last few months have been building up nicely. My first big block of work finished at the end of November and it was a great few weeks of work. I then started my second big block a few days into December and smashed through to possibly a PB week for December, big mileage and strong speed! 











Also this year I was privileged enough to make it onto the World Class Performance Plan, or as many of you know it Lottery Funding. So a big thank you to British Athletics for the recognition of my hard work and believing what I believe, that I am going to continue to develop right to the front of the pack, and push towards a medal. I wasn't happy with 24th in the World this year and they way my training has been going along with my 100% focus every day on Rio I certainly will be moving forwards next season. 

Having had some interest from kit manufacturers this season, still no one has shown much interest in me representing their brand. I mean what am I doing wrong am I not a good role model, am I not interesting enough? I'll just have to go out next year, smash more National records and get more Olympic Qualifying times and then destroy it in Rio. I love to use this sort of thing as pure motivation!!! 

I have started using snapchat now, well trying any way. So you can follow me on that, just search my username - tbosworth5. I also finished my Christmas present wrapping this afternoon, so all I can say now from a very organised Tom and a Tom that has never been happier, is Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope to inspire you all into the Olympic year!! 

#TomWalksFast

Twitter @TomBosworth







No comments:

Post a Comment