Featured post

Hard Work and Never being Happier

It was a Tuesday morning. After months of planning and I think I was more nervous than standing on the start line at the World Championshi...

Friday 30 January 2015

January Sunshine!

Hello from Torrevieja!! 

I hear its snowing at home? - There was only so much of that I could take. 

Being outside in the snow, freezing my toes off just isn't for me and so I have teamed up with a couple of mates from Finland and walked off to Torrevieja in Spain. Made possible thanks to the public support from my Talent Backer campaign and British Athletics. 

I thought this next update would be another massive moan about Russian walkers, instead I have left that in the past as finally their disgraceful behaviour has been outed, I now put my trust in the IAAF to punish and send a clear cut message to all athletes and federations. That is all I have to say on the matter... for now. 
The only change I can make is through my performances. So far, 7 days into my training camp I have already broken some personal training records and feel in fine form for January. It's amazing what a few training partners and a lot of sunshine can do. Yet to get a tan, but watch this space, you never know. Most mornings we meet for training between 9 and 10am and walk up and down the beautifully flat roads some where between Torrevieja and Alicante. It is sunglasses weather for sure! 
I have set my self a few targets for this block of work, mainly reaching certain speeds in my long walks and targeting high overall weekly milage targets. Week 1 done, target distance... smashed! I am putting some of my training on the app Strava. You can see what kind of thing I am getting up to in my training sessions most mornings. 

Currently to pass the time here I am continuing my Modern Family box set marathon, as well as playing around with a lot of fitness apps. I do not train with my phone usually, but can easily link many of these apps through my Garmin watch. My next YouTube review show "Tom Talks.... Fitness Apps" will cover a number of different apps. Watch out for that in early February. Any suggestions of apps please do get in contact with your ideas. 

Now the important bit, racing! I will be racing over 3k at the British Indoor Champs in Sheffield in two weeks. This could be an awesome advert for up and coming talents of British walkers and do not feel like it will be an easy race, 3k is far off my speciality of 20k! 

Then throughout March I will be racing over 10k and 20k, both times hopefully getting those few extra seconds off my current PB's with both British Records set firmly in my sights. But the hard work needs to happen now, for the results to come in March, so I'm signing off now to go and sun bath... I mean go training! 

If you are training hard through the snow and rain back home then you get my respect, I realise how lucky I am to be here training in the sunshine. I plan to make the most of every second! Hope you do too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment