Featured post

Hard Work and Never being Happier

It was a Tuesday morning. After months of planning and I think I was more nervous than standing on the start line at the World Championshi...

Sunday 16 August 2015

World Athletics Championships - The final steps

One week to go!

An athlete trains their guts out week in week out to make a major championships. The pinnacle of their sport making those brutal winter sessions and long periods away from home all worth it. Always leave it in your hands, never allow a shred of doubt to enter any one's mind - you're good enough to compete against the best - end of!

- Watch my 'One Week To Go' video! -

For years I dreamt of making a World Championships and over the last 3 it has become more and more real. Now it is and I'm a week out from the biggest race of my life am I nervous? No, I'm just training and preparing as normal like it was any other meet. The emotions and anticipation have started to build as they would normally, can't say any less than its all going to plan.

Up here in Gifu, Japan I've had wonderful support from British Athletics support staff and other coaches as my personal coach was unable to make it out here to the altitude camp. Physio Cat has kept me in one piece, as well as the help in training which has been perfect!
I had brilliant company and drinks man Steve Cram on the bike with me a few times as well as the best pace maker on the track Captain Kate Spilsbury! - Kate did a great job on the track, it was just a shame how she tried to drive me and other athletes off the side of the mountain on numerous occasions, we can't all be perfect I guess!

As well as the support the team also really embraced race walking which as you all well know I have been fighting for a long time now to be closer to main stream athletics in the UK.








Jenny Meadows felt she could be a good walker, and decided to give it a go. She literally picked it up at the firs attempt and we battled it out in a race walk off!
Tom vs Jenny - Race Walk Off! 
Training at altitude can be tough but ensuring an easy start will allow you to fit into normal training soon enough and I was able to smash out some PB sessions up the mountain. It also helps to have such quality training partners in the GB team, well they weren't really training partners for me more just brilliant motivation to be training on the track at the same time as these guys tearing it up round the track. Race Walking couldn't have been more in the middle of British Athletics!
Charlie Grice post track session

Me and Mo after training
Great news is that the race looks like it will be on BBC 2 at 1:30am (UK time) on Sunday 23rd August. I'll have to put in a big performance and it is also the second day of the women's heptathlon and I hear we have a few talented athletes in that! 
Don't expect to hear much from me in in race week I like to keep to my self in the final few days as well as China have blocks on Facebook and Twitter (@TomBosworth) You can always keep an eye on my website, TomBosworth.com Make sure you use #TomWalksFast. 

Now is a perfect time to thank you all for your support in getting me this far. I am truly thankful and it would mean a lot less to be here without the support from my amazing Family and Friends as well as all the Athletics fans around the world. Thank you! 

I'm soon to be Beijing bound - let the next leg of my journey be a successful as this!

All the best from me on the volcano in the clouds.

#TomWalksFast


No comments:

Post a Comment